Jump to main content
旧江戸城之図 / 国立国会図書館

Ieyasu's Policies

As well as being a warlord and a political leader, Ieyasu was also known for his love of learning and his promotion of education.

[Establishment of Library in Edo Castle]

In July 1602 (Keicho 7), Ieyasu established a library (Bunko) in Fujiminotei, the inner citadel of Edo Castle. Fujiminotei is said to be located at the southern end of the inner citadel, near the present-day Fujimi-yagura (Mt. Fuji-view Keep). The Edo Castle library contained the book collections of Ieyasu and Kanazawa Bunko, founded by the mid-Kamakura period warlord Hojo Sanetoki. Ieyasu handed over the shogunship to Hidetada in April 1605 (Keicho 10) and moved to Sunpu Castle in 1607 (Keicho 12), where he also established a library. The books of Kanazawa Bunko held in Fujiminotei in Edo Castle were transferred to the Sunpu Castle library.

This document contains 51 years of articles, from 1 August 1580 (Tensho 8) to the end of December 1630 (Kanei 7), extracted from historical documents and arranged in date order. The document informs that the Bunko was established in Edo Castle, saying "Kanazawa Bunko was moved to Fujiminotei in Edo Castle, and a new library was built."

[Ieyasu's Publishing Efforts]

From the end of the 16th century to the 17th century, Japan entered the age of letter press printing. The technology of letterpress printing came from Jesuit missionaries and Joseon. Ieyasu actively promoted the publication of books held in Fushimi Castle, Edo Castle and Sunpu Castle.

 

These publishing efforts by Ieyasu enabled many of the books that had previously been difficult to view to be disseminated to the public. Ieyasu made available to the public a wealth of knowledge and learning that had previously been kept secret and confidential.

A reference work on politics compiled by Wei Zheng and others by order of Taizong, the emperor of the Tang Dynasty. The book contains a selection of more than 60 works of literature, including the Analects of Confucius and Shiji (The Historical Records), to help guide the reader’s reign. Ieyasu ordered Ishin Sūden (Zen Rinzai monk) and Hayashi Razan (Confucian scholar) to publish the book, which happened in late May 1616 (Genna 2) (Suruga version).
This book was published (Fushimi version) in March 1605 (Keicho 10). “Azuma Kagami” is also written as "東鑑", instead of “吾妻鏡.” Ieyasu, who loved reading Azuma Kagami, published this book based on his own books and the former collection of the Odawara Hojo clan. The image is of the scene of Fuji no Makigari (a grand hunting event arranged by Minamoto no Yoritomo, the first shogun of the Kamakura shogunate, in May 1193 (Kenkyu 4)).
A chronological history of the Kamakura shogunate, compiled by the shogunate itself. The book is said to have been presented by Kuroda Nagamasa to the second shogun, Tokugawa Hidetada, in 1604 (Keicho 9). In 1993 (Heisei 5), it was designated an Important Cultural Property of Japan.

[Ieyasu's Deification and Toshogu]

Ieyasu passed away at the age of 75 at Sunpu Castle on April 17, 1616 (Genna 2). After his death, he was given a Shinto name and was deified as Tosho Daigongen. Toshosha shrines dedicated to him were built in Nikko and Edo Castle.

This is a record of Hidetada's life compiled by Tadafuyu, the grandson of Matsudaira Ietada, by order of the shogunate. Completed in 1684 (Jōkyō 1). The book describes the ground-breaking ceremony for the Toshosha shrine held on October 26, 1616 (Genna 2), with Tenkai (Tendai Buddhist monk) as the designer and Honda Masazumi as the magistrate. 20 volumes in total.

[Researching Toshogu]